Despite the surge in awareness thanks to reality TV, misconceptions and stereotypes about hoarders are still rampant. One of the biggest is that hoarding is a conscious choice, but it’s not – it’s a mental disorder. Signs of hoarding can begin manifesting in the teenage years and is generally a coping behavior to deal with anxiety triggered by a traumatic event such as abuse, death of a loved one, or significant loss.
Unfortunately, hoarding can put the hoarder or others at risk. The only way to keep those in the home safe is with professional hoarding cleanup services. If you or someone you love are a hoarder and are ready to begin anew by cleaning your Lake Zurich, IL home, contact ServiceMaster DSI regarding our comprehensive professional hoarding cleanup services.
Cleaning a hoarder’s home can be dangerous and both physically and emotionally demanding. Here are a few of the issues our hoarding cleanup technicians address during a cleanup:
- Mold and mildew. Mold can grow in even the most tidy and clean homes, but the home of a hoarder makes mold and mildew even more prevalent as it can grow beneath piles of garbage or other items.
- There are many types of biohazards such as human and animal waste, rotten food, and animal carcasses. Be cautious when coming into contact with any type of biohazard and call authorities and a professional cleaning company.
- Animal hoarders. We all love a pet or two in our homes, but animal hoarders go overboard, often not cleaning up animal waste or carcasses.
- Unsafe and unsecure floorboards and foundation. Often because of garbage, mold, mildew, and wet areas, the floorboards and foundation of the home can become weak and even develop holes.
- Duct work, vents, and furnaces. If a furnace has sat idle for quite some time or the duct work and vents have not been cleaned, health hazards such as asthma or other respiratory illnesses can occur.
Depending on the severity of the hoarding, it may be in your best interest to contact a professional hoarding cleanup service. ServiceMaster DSI has trained, knowledgeable, and efficient technicians plus the proper equipment and cleaning products to get the job done.
Remember that hoarding isn’t a choice; it’s a mental disorder that has occurred over time. With ServiceMaster DSI, there are no judgements, stereotypes, or misconceptions. We simply want to help, and we’ll do our best to make the hoarding cleanup process easy on you and your family, so you can take care of things after the cleanup and enjoy life as it should be. For additional information or to make an appointment, contact us today at (847) 852-7106 or visit us here.