If you’ve suffered through the summer months with coughing, sneezing, itching, and a stuffy head, it may be allergies. But what if it’s more than allergies? What if it’s asthma or an allergic reaction caused from mold in your home or place of work? Mold in carpets causes allergic reactions and sensitivity very similar to the common cold. If you’re in the Downers Grove, IL, area and need carpet cleaning services, contact ServiceMaster DSI.
Whether it’s in a high-traffic area due to moisture being tracked in on footwear or in a lower level where moisture levels always tend to be a bit higher, mold loves moisture, and there’s no place more perfect for mold to grow than in carpeting.
Here’s how to reduce indoor humidity and other high-moisture areas of your home or business:
- Flooding or water damage. If your home has been damaged by a flood or a burst pipe or water leak, act quickly. Hire a professional carpet cleaning service to clean the carpet and the padding beneath as well. Mold grows quickly in dark and damp areas.
- High-traffic areas. Entries, bathrooms, and laundry rooms tend to be high-traffic areas with a high amount of moisture. Take heed to moisture tracked in on shoes, from the shower, or a washing machine that has leaked or overflowed.
- Reduce indoor humidity. Typically, lower levels of homes suffer higher humidity levels. Use a dehumidifier to reduce and remove indoor humidity in these carpeted areas.
- High-quality carpet padding. Purchasing high-quality carpet padding may cost a bit more but will be well worth it in the long run. High-quality carpet padding is made with the proper materials to “fight off” mold growth compared to cheaper padding.
- Carpet installation. If possible, don’t install carpet in areas that are subject to high moisture, such as bathrooms.
- Avoid standing water. If your home has experienced a flood or water damage from a burst pipe, clogged drain, or an overflowing washing machine, act quickly and don’t allow carpets to sit in standing water too long. Contact a professional carpet cleaning service immediately for removal and restoration.
Carpeting that has mold growth can be a health hazard and is a difficult task to remove and clean—something you should not do on your own. That’s why it’s important to contact a professional carpet cleaning service that has the knowledge, expertise, experience, and equipment to clean deep down into the fibers and padding and leave you with a safe, healthy, and clean carpeted area in no time at all.
At ServiceMaster DSI in Downers Grove, IL, we understand the serious devastation water and mold can cause to the carpets of your home or business. Get rid of that coughing, sneezing, itching, and stuffy head caused by mold growth in your carpets with carpet cleaning services from ServiceMaster DSI in Downers Grove, IL, by calling (630) 974-5531 or visiting our website.