Are you prepared if a pipe freezes in your home this winter?
Your typical Chicagoland winter will bring freezing temperatures that can cause serious issues to the inside of your home no matter how well insulated it is. Frozen pipes are more common than one might expect, but luckily ServiceMaster DSI is available to restore your home to a livable condition after an incident occurs.
Water damage can occur suddenly and severely. Burst pipes can leave a significant amount of standing water in your home which only causes more damage the longer it remains. Water damage affects not only the structure of your building, but it also affects all of your belongings and valuables as well. However, there are five easy steps that you can take to minimize the damage after a pipe bursts.
- The first step is to shutoff the water in your home and proceed to open the faucets. This relieves the air pressure in the pipes and allows it to drop to a safe level.
- Safely attempt to shut off the electricity to the affected area of your home.
- If you’re unable to stop or repair the leak, call for assistance as soon as possible.
- Take extensive photos and write down notes to present to your insurance agent with documentation of the damages.
- Depending upon the level of water damage, try to remove any excess water before it causes more damage. If there’s too much water in your home, contact a water removal and damage restoration service as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
If not cleaned up quickly and properly, that water damage will lead to further damage including the growth of mold and mildew. You also risk warping the floorboards in your home, which can result in extensive construction. If your home or business has experienced water damage from burst pipes, you can trust the water mitigation professionals at ServiceMaster DSI. ServiceMaster DSI offers full water extraction as part of our water damage restoration services, serving Chicago and the surrounding areas.
Contact ServiceMaster DSI today with any questions or concerns about frozen pipes.We can be reached at (773) 770-4512 or by filling out a Service Request Form online.